WILDFIRE COMMUNICATION BULLETIN
July 28, 2021 – UPDATE
- The District of 100 Mile House remains on Evacuation ALERT ONLY.
- BC Wildfire Service has NOT made recommendations for the Evacuation Alert to be upgraded to an Evacuation Order.
- There are no fires currently within the District boundaries.
- Current Fire Danger rating in the 100 Mile Zone is High to Extreme.
- Flat Lake Fire is estimated to be 39,584 hectares in size (based on July 26th data).
- The fire is active and remains classified as ‘out of control”.
- Planning for ignitions will be ongoing for the Flat Lake Fire * see notes below.
- On the North side – A machine guard in the north is complete. Planning for potential ignition operations in the NW is underway and may take place today if conditions permit.
- On the West side – heavy equipment has completed a guard system on the west side of the fire along the Gustafsen Nielson Road. Crews will continue today to secure this side of the fire.
- On the East side – crews are making progress on securing control lines on the east side. Today, crews continue to target hot spots found by an aerial scan that locates heat signatures. All sprinkler systems from the east side of the highway have been demobilized.
- On the South side – Crews will be working to extinguish along the perimeter of the previous planned ignition in the SE today. A machine guard is under construction and planning is underway for ignition opportunities that will secure the south side of the fire.
- Aviation support will be utilized throughout the day.
- The 100 Mile Northeast Complex Incident Management Team is managing response for this incident.
- There are 16 helicopters available to continue to action the fires within this complex with bucketing activities, 84 firefighters, 44 pieces of heavy equipment and 10 structural personnel.
- There is a Special Air Quality Statement in effect. With stable conditions and lighter winds, we may see increasing smoke issues. Temperatures are forecast to be very hot and fire behaviour may increase as a result.
NEXT UPDATE – Thursday, July 29, 2021 unless an emergency update is required.
REMINDER: There is a lot of misinformation floating around – especially on social media. Please don’t be drawn to believe rumours. Check the following sources for accurate and reliable information:
District of 100 Mile House – https://100milehouse.com [or on our Facebook page]
Cariboo Regional District – https://www.cariboord.ca or call 1-866-759-4977
BC Wildfire Service - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status Drive BC - https://www.drivebc.ca/
*Notes re Planned Ignitions:
Planned ignitions are essential and effective tactics that the BC Wildfire Service uses to help contain very large wildfires. The objective of the planned ignition is to remove unburned fuels between the fire perimeter and pre-determined control lines such as roads and machine guards. This tactic will bring the fire’s edge to more easily accessible locations where ground crews can safely deliver water directly to the fires’ edge.
Regular 100 Mile House community updates regarding the status of the Flat Lake Fire will be as follows:
- Daily updates Monday to Friday by 2:00 pm on the District’s Facebook page and website as well as posters at the District office and the Post Office;
- After hours or weekend updates will only be posted when emergent information is received and must be communicated immediately to the public;
- This daily update is for the District of 100 Mile House only. Surrounding Cariboo Regional District (CRD) communities are not included;
- As Town Hall Meetings cannot safely be accommodated right now, this daily update will provide current and factual information.
For more fire related information visit our Wildfire Information page.